Thursday, September 22, 2011

A Tisket, A Tasket, My Wonky Lil' Basket & Before/After

Okay, so for some time now I've been searching for some #18 needlepoint fabric to make some baskets I saw in an old Nutshell News magazine. I've checked three different craft stores and the only thrift shop I know of, and nothing! I really like how they look and just wanted to give it a try. I also want to try some of Casey's (http://caseymini.blogspot.com/) techniques with it.
So since I can't find the needlepoint fabric, I decided to try weaving in the meantime. I found a book at the library that I love because it's full of DIY. Very basic, but good for this newbie!  =)  I can get a better sense of scale and how things can be made.
Here is my first attempt at weaving a basket. My poor, sad attempt......

This is the shape I wanted:

ROTFL......It looks nothing like it......LOL! I was trying to keep the wires fanned outwards, but I think I was so focused on keeping the weave tight I lost the shape. I also couldn't find the waxed thread it calls for so I used hemp instead. Oh well, I still have other sizes and shapes to try so....

I also wanted to show you my before & after. The only mini furniture I can afford at the moment are the $1 hutches from Michaels......lol.  I've seen six different styles of them, but you can never find them all at once.

This is one of the them:

And from it I made this:

Ignore the opening of the door handles on the inside of the door. I'm still thinking on whether I should paper the inside of the doors with the same paper that is on the top of it. Not sure if it would be too much.....?


Again I tried to muck it up a bit, but it was not right. I painted, re-painted and re-re-painted it. So, before letting this small, inanimate object force me to use a bunch of colorful words that a lady should never utter, and fling it across the room, I decided to just paint and sand, and call it done!  =D

Happy Thursday to you!!!

15 comments:

  1. OMG! I'm in love with the hutch!! Is that a polymer clay design that looks like carved wood? It is so adorable!!
    Also, the basket is totally cute. Yeah - it didn't turn into the one in the pic, but it has a great personality and is really nicely crafted. I was in the 2nd day of a mini wicker workshop last month when I asked the girl sitting next to me if her cat got a hold of her basket the night before. It was all jacked up and higglety pigglety. She said no and was totally offended. Oops! She just hadn't taken care to make the rows look even. Nothing like yours! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, now that I've stopped laughing I can tell you that's not polymer clay. They're some do-dads (don't know what they're called...lol) I found at Michaels. I'll post a pic of them to show you.

    I found it hilarious that the girl was offended and you actually asked if her cat attacked her basket. Jacked up. Higglety pigglety......LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also think your basket is cute. Lol i tried to make a basket its hard. Mine ended in the basket :D I love what you did with the hutch. Its beautiful. Can i ask what did you do with the top ? Hugs Maria

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the customization of the cabinet, it was awesome!
    The basket was beautiful, although it is not the format you wanted. :)
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maria, I haven't decided how I am going to use the top portion of the hutch yet. =)

    Thank you Eliana! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. El cesto... es el primero? ha quedado muy bien pero el mueblecito es una coquetería!
    Un abrazo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gracias RosaM! Si es el primer cesto y me falta muchiiiisiiiima practica....jajaja. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Liz, why in the world were you mad with your cupboard? It is a lovely makeover! And that basket! WOW! You should see my 1st attempts. A far far cry from yours!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your first basket looks perfect. The hutch is very beautiful. I love both.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  10. And 'done' it is - beautifully! You have such great imagination, I'd never have thought past a bit of paint on that hutch, now it's wonderful. Gill x

    ReplyDelete
  11. ¡¡Madre mia Iris !!
    me encanta todo !!
    tu primer intento con la cesta es estupendo !!
    imposible que e quedara mejor ,es increible de verdad !!
    el tuneo del mueble es espectacular !!
    con un mueble hiciste dos !!
    y ademas con tu toque de elegancia y distincion !!
    mi mas sincera enhorabuena guapisima !!
    ¡¡maravilloso trabajo !!

    .. * . (\ *** /) * . * Un besito
    .* . * ( \(_)/ ) * * . cielo
    .* . * (_ /|\ _) . * . que tengas
    .* . * . /___\ * . . un buen dia

    ReplyDelete
  12. Me gusta mucho la canasta ( =
    Y el mueble ¡Bien lindo!!!
    Un beso
    Flor

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yo el cesto lo veo precioso, te quedó muy bien y más siendo el primero. Y que decir del mueblecito, me encanta el resultado, mucho mejor.
    Un beso

    ReplyDelete
  14. la transformation avec la partie basse du buffet est superbe, la couleur va parfaitement bien à ce petit meuble !

    ReplyDelete